Hello! I'm here with a bit of a comparison post today of the make up setting sprays I've used so far.
The main thing I've been looking for in a setting spray are:
- Help the make up set in place
- Improve lasting power of my make up
- Get rid of any over powdered areas
- Make my skin look more hydrated
- Good pump mechanism that disperses the produce evenly across my face
- Rehydrate my face/refresh my make up through the day
Model in a Bottle Make Up Setting Spray : Matte finish, sensitive formula
They have repackaged their product so maybe the spray mechanism may be better now.
I bought this from Cherry Culture when they still stocked this product.
They don't have this brand anymore but you can buy it from eBay or directly from their website.
I remember there was a lot of hype about this product and it was on sale for $21AUD.
With the positive reviews on Makeup Alley and other bloggers I thought I couldn't go wrong.
SD Alcohol 40B, Purified water, Butylene glycol, Methyl Perfluorobutyl Ethyl, Acrylates/Octacrylamide copolymer, Lavandula Angustifoilia Lavender extract, Aloe Barbadensis gel (Aloe Vera), Biosaccharide gum-1, Polysorbate 20, Propylparaben, Methylparaben
- Good setting power
- Comes in a glass jar
- Comes with a twist cap, and 2 spray pumps
- Has a regular and sensitive formula
- Small ingredients list
- Did not cause any reactions to my skin
- Matte finish
- Does set the make up quite well
- Really powerful alcohol/chemical smell even in the sensitive formula
- Takes a while for the scent to fade
- The spray pump included was HORRIBLE, it would spit product at you
- I changed it to my other spray bottle so that it would disperse product better
- I have to pat the product in well to avoid leaving patchy looking skin
- If not patted in you get dots on your face where the product had dried up
- Don't get this in your eyes, stings.. alot.
- Not sure if it's just me but I felt like my skin couldn't breathe even though it didn't cause any reactions
So although this product works, it just smells so bad, and the formula is very fiddly to work with.
I don't know if I got a dud but I know that other people found the smell overpowering and they had trouble with the pump too.
Too much trouble for what it is worth for me ><
Did anyone experience the same problem as me with this product??
Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
I probably don't need to introduce this one since it is so widely known!
I have to thank my work colleague for going to Sephora in the US to buy it for me :)
It comes in various formulas but I got the most basic one since my skin isn't oily or problematic.
Water, SD-Alcohol 39-C, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isononyl Isononanoate Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Methyl Diisopropyl Propionamide, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Glycereth-5 Lactate, Methyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance
- Comes with 2 lids - I think I used the purple lid and the smaller one was just for travel insurance hehe
- Very mild scent, I can't remember if it even had any scent
- Spray pump dispersed product very evenly in a very fine mist
- Instructions were very helpful - spray in an X or * motion to get the most even coverage - I do this with all my sprays now!
- Could be a pro or con but leaves a slightly dewy finish
- Helped makeup blend in to give a polished finish
- Removed any over-powdered areas
- I could pat it in with a sponge to further set my under-eye makeup
- Skin felt like it could still breathe well
- Can be used to touch up through the day and rehydrate the skin
- Difficult to find if you're in places like Australia
- So many chemicals O.o
- Expensive - over $30AUD
- Did not make my make up last all day
- Leaves a slightly dewy finish which some people may not like
- Make sure to spray at least 10-15cm from the face otherwise it won't give you even coverage
- Packaging was nice but it reminds me of NARS rubber packaging that gets dirty easily
I quite liked this product because it did a good job of finishing my make up and I like the spray pump.
I didn't think that it was that great in making my make up last all day though as my make up still faded and moved under my eyes.
I would like to try all the other setting sprays in the Skindanavia range before I decide to repurchase this one.
Mac Fix+ Skin refresher/finishing mist
This is another one that doesn't need much of an introduction.
This is widely available and is fairly affordable!
I think I'm gradually starting to give into the MAC fad because their products are indeed pretty decent.
They come out with reliable products that do their job, and they are not cheap but not ridiculously expensive.
Water, Glycerin, Butylene glycol, Cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) extract, Camellia sinensis leaf extract, Tocopheryl acetate, Caffeine, Panthenol, Arginine, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyenthanol <ILN33369>
- Comes housed in a very pretty box that is engraved with the MAC logo, and it is pearlescent white!
- Good quality bottle and the pump disperses product evenly in a fine mist
- Pump also has a twist lock mechanism that works well when you travel
- Decently priced - $27AUD
- Readily available
- No scent
- I like the ingredients list, it has quite a lot of good stuff in it like caffeine, cucumber extract, arganine
- Really does its job in finishing the make up look
- Works really well for rehydration
- Gets rid of any over-powdered areas
- I felt that it did help with lasting power of my make up
- I can pat it in with a sponge to further set my under-eye makeup
- Can leave a natural finish or a more dewy finish depending on how much you spray
- Even if I accidentally spray too much, my make up still stays safe and I just have to wait for the product to dry
- Skin can breathe
- Still does not give full day lasting power
- For some reason I have a tendency to over spray the MAC Fix+ and make my face actually damp - user error lol
MAC has a friendlier ingredients list and does a good, even better job at setting make up than the All Nighter spray IMO.
With the Fix+, I like how I can refresh my trouble under-eye area when it is looking a bit dry and patchy.
I remember I didn't like doing this so much with the All Nighter spray.
Many people still prefer the All Nighter spray so I might find out why when I try the other ones from that brand.
Hopefully there are even better setting sprays out there that aren't too difficult to access.
Until next time that's all for now folks!